To hear this topic on ABC Radio with Kelly fuller click on the link below.
Adrenal stress or fatigue is a term given to people who live or work in stressful conditions
whether it be physical stress overworked muscles for a long period of time or it could be mental / emotional, (unhappy,dysfunctional relationships) or eating foods that overstimulate our adrenal glands and our digestive system.
The adrenal glands are tiny little glands at the top of our kidneys, Actually they look a bit like walnuts. Their function is to regulate our body’s response to physical stress/emotional stress. They produce hormones that literally keep us alive. Adrenaline is produced as part of our fight or flight response which is a good thing but long term living in fight or flight creates Adrenal stress and eventually disease or illness like chronic fatigue syndrome. When the body no longer can produce adrenaline you end up with Addison’s disease ...
1. Tired all the time rundown feeling
2. Having trouble waking up/getting up in the morning even if you just slept 8/10 hrs
3. Feeling overwhelmed rundown depressed teary
4. Having difficulty bouncing back from stress or illnesses eg: chronic fatigue syndrome
5. Feel tired all day then round 6pm your energetic cant sleep.
6. Foggy brain not being able to think straight or retain memory
Foods to avoid
1. Coffee especially strong coffee and certainly not 8 cups a day
2. Sugary sweet foods/ highly refined white sugar
3. Highly refined chocolate...lollies ect
Foods to help the adrenals cope
1. Foods rich in vitamin c, zinc, B group and vitamin A (Berries, sweet potatoes, wholegrain cereals and raw Honey )
2.Protein rich foods or supplement with Rice/Pea protein powders
3.Salt..Celtic sea Salt or Himalayan pink Salt
Adaptogenic herbs are herbs that contain active ingredients that help the adrenal glands to “adapt” to stress.. These herbs play a role in how the body’s’ cells manufacture the right amounts of adaptive hormones.
Supplements that help the adrenals:
1.Strong B complex, Or a good Multi containing
Vit C ,B group, Vit B 12 Zinc. 2.Licorice root caps/tea, Ginseng root(Either
Siberian or Korean). Rhodiola, Withania, Rehmania, Passon flower